Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ham Ratchet JCAT


Cupla posts back Austinian mentioned Die Antwoord Harmony Korine and Lil Boosie in the same sentence. Im gonna chalk that down as one of my November highlights. Anyways got me to thinkin about the Boos, I honestly wastn't sure if he was ever going to get any real attention thrown at him, because those in the know can clearly see that the dude has bona fide skills. Any youtube comment list you read will have some talk about him being the next Pac. Hmmmm that whole conversation is kinda, "eh" but it got me thinking, first I had to construct a "2Pac" in my head and distill his importance cross-referenced and translated into a form(a sort of mental rubrick if you will) that I could compare Lil Boosie too. Once I did that, I found that indeed Lil Boosie fulfilled my arbitrary and completely baseless expectations of 2Pac. But unfortunately the type of people who are good at identifying Lil Boosie's greatness are not usually given much clout in any form, maybe least of all in the music-journalists world. But we shall see we shall see.



But then there is the other impending and faaaar more bleak reality that he is currently facing 6 muder 1 charges and could very well be the first Rapper to be executed. When keeping it real goes wrong? Or should we entertain the idea that the powers to be might not like a Boosie type popular in the world. Well, of course the powers to be don't like the idea of Lil Boosie, but to the extent that they would orchestrate some way of blacklisting him like this....that's hard to imagine.



Now I fully realize that there is some (probably large) percentage of the Boosie character that is completely made-up. But it certainly was not made in a vacuum. Just as Captain America didn't ever decapitate a red skulled Nazi-type, but it is definitely coming from somewhere, so too does some element of Lil Boosie really exist in our world. But are people really listening to what he has to say? and thinking about what it all means? probably not, but just do a comparison between the homespun wisdom of rappers like Rakim and Big Daddy Kane, and then think about the life-philosphy of the new-school, it's not that the new school is dumber or meaner per se. It's just that the situation they are reflecting is probably far grimmer.



But honestly put yourselves in the position of an old-timey white sheriff or D.A. in some shit parrish in the south, over your life-time you too have seen the degradation of your way of life and your base of power, and out of the woodwork comes these twacked out, bug-eyed, homocidal maniacs flashing guns and money and throwing a middle finger to your whole world. Speaking for myself it would be coonin' time for sure.



But what do you do? Sit on the side and try and wipe yourself clean from the mess and throw admonishments and call it macaroni? or do you say fuck it and get knee deep in the muck and bask in the evil surrounding you? I'm not too sure, on the whole I don't think the kind of shit these guys are saying is really constructive or beneficial long-term. But I can't deny that I like it, and indeed love all the robbin' mobbin' shootin' and lootin'. I feel like I can separate good fantasy from the reality we live in and extract what should be extracted and leave the rest, but I don't really trust the next man to be able to do the same....hmmm problems without answers



No comments:

Post a Comment