Monday, August 30, 2010

Time ain't nothin' but a thing



this and C&C Music Factory's everybody dance now were the first tapes I got, tape singles mind you, it was a while later till I actually got full albums. Turtle Tape's, I loved the sign and thought it was the coolest place on earth....why in the hell do I remember that?



Before the internet if your parents didn't know the answer, then there was no way to know something. Case in point, my mom had no idea who Leaders Of The New School were so it didn't matter how many times I tried to get more info on them, I couldn't, at the end of the day my mom was my only source of information, and the slight trickle I would get from MTV, but that mostly just frustrated me because I would see something hecka tight but have no way to follow up on it at all, it would appear out of nowhere with no context and disappear just the same. It's funny that Busta Rhymes was in Leaders Of The New School, I had no idea until many years later, I couldn't youtube the above mentioned video, and by the time Gimme Some More was out, Leaders of The New School might as well have never existed....they surely weren't getting played in between Usher and En Vogue.

ha! I can't wait until twenty years from now when I can REALLY start laying on the "when I was your age-isms", something like, "when I was your age, we had to wear clothes and spend our whole day in stuffy rooms with artificial light, sitting in funny chairs staring screens that lied to us all day, and the lies on the screen tried to take advantage of you and make you buy other screens and clothes and get you to sit in other stuffy rooms with funny chairs and artificial light...." yeah something like that would be a pretty cool thing to be able to say.


hey but as long as we're not saying shit like this anymore I'd be good

1 comment: